View Single Post
Old 05-06-2024, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Actually, I do it all the time ... I mean, teaching old dogs .. which is very unkind way for me to describe my clients that I help with one to one sessions via zoom.

It's just that the majority of my clients are ... "mature" . It's never too late to learn stuff and have fun.
This deserves some attention. I'm a big fan of personal instruction, particularly early in the learning cycle.

Most of the really good guitarists I know learned by the same method. I call it the 'song first' method. Studio ace Tim Pierce is a good example. His teacher was the legendary Steve Maase of Albuquerque, NM.

The method involves taking a song you want to learn to the teacher. He shows you how to play it. At the same time he squeezes whatever background knowledge or theory you need to understand what you're doing. In other words, the song precedes the theory, not the other way around.

This is a method that cannot be taught via commercial online courses because of copyright restrictions. Also, those courses can't be tailored to the needs, interests and background of the individual student. The only way you can get this kind of instruction is in person, either face-to-face or via Zoom.

Even if you can only afford to see a teacher once a month, it's worth it. After you get all the basics, then you can go off on your own. In fact, good teachers encourage it.