View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 10:09 AM

Sometimes I really get to feeling inferior when I read threads.

Let's see, when I change strings I don't use power tools, and I use a 1.98 winder. I guess my glasses are sort of protective. Worse yet, I seldom use a tuner unless I am on stage or at a jam where it is the only option ... just tune one string to an electronic keyboard, or an internet tone, or a piano ... whatever's handy ... and then tune every string against that open string by ear.

If you must use a tuner, I highly recommend tuning not to an open note, but to a fretted note in the range where yu most often play. For example, if you most often play in the first five frets in, tune everything except the open G to a note fretted on the second or third fret. If you play a lot of up the neck leads, tune to a note on the 7th, 8th, or 9th fret ... just pick one you like.

The problem with guitars is that it is impossible to build one that has perfect intonation all the way up the neck for every player. Tuning strictly to open notes with a tuner does not account for the different pressure put on strings by different players.