View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc guy View Post
Hi all,twice now during tuning back up to standard after tuning down to EBEEBE i've broken the G string right near the tuning peg.The second time I went very slow but still it snapped.Anyone know what I may be doing wrong?Do you need to retune in stages?These are D'addario lights,phosphor bonze.
Thanx.
Hi bcguy...
The only time in my history of nearly 47 years of playing was when tuning up from alternate tunings, and always right at the tuning post.

David Wilcox (the king of retuning on stage) recommends that extra wraps be put on the shaft to avoid breaking when retuning, and since I started doing that, I have not broken a string tuning the 3rd back to standard in over 5 years...(or any other string).

I do a simple 1 wrap above and 4-5 wraps below the insert-hole on the tuning shaft on both the 3rd and 4th strings, and 1 above/3 below on the 5th and 6th.and it has served me well. I put 5-6 winds below the 1st & 2nd strings...no interlocking winding for me...

I do a simple insert the string and crank and let the hourglass shape of the shaft force the top wind down onto the string, while the winds from below pull upward. They hold the string in place without slippage - especially with multiple winds below.

Also, make sure the nut slot doesn't pinch the string by being it too narrow...which is indicated by having to crank the tuner till the string ''pops'' or ''twinks'' into position (usually overshooting the pitch you are going for). That can weaken the string.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…