View Single Post
Old 01-02-2024, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
As a starting point I do not think of old or new guitars in terms of better or not as good. They are simply different sounding. There is no way that say a recent production J200 is going to sound like one which rolled out of the factory in the 1950s. The reason is they are very different beasts structurally with the older ones having a bracing which was unique to that model. While I would guess Gibson was more concerned about supporting that big old top than anything else, in 50 or so years of playing Gibsons I have never held a maple body J200 in my hands I liked better than those. I would say the same thing about a 1930s L Series guitar. In this case while going with a bridge plate no thicker than a business card or two may be great when it comes to a hair trigger response and sound, it is also a warranty nightmare waiting to happen. When it comes to Banners, something different comes into play. No guitar on the face of the planet speaks as eloquently to a specific time and place as those instruments do. It is like you feel not as much as you own them as you have been appointed its caretaker. There is no way you can attach a price tag to that.
Thank you for the detailed summary on your experiences which is appreciated. Your response explains your view and does not come off and make it sound like those of us that have ML guitars (or "replicas" as ZeroFretHead likes to call them) threw away our money on guitars that are 10x worse.