View Single Post
Old 11-13-2001, 03:44 PM
Jim

I think you are right about the disappearing flame/quilt, J.R. I don't know why Taylor can't seem to get the really good stuff anymore when other builders seem to not have a problem. For example, the Larrivee koas I've seen lately have as good or better flame than the PS models and even their maple parlours seem to be more flamed than the Taylor 600s. It's likely another case of Taylor trying to keep their costs down and not getting into the bidding wars for the best stuff combined with their practice of using every scrap of structurally sound wood they buy. This is just another example, along with the monkey fur, 3-ply cases, cheap latches, plastic handles, koa rosettes, 3-piece backs and 3-piece necks they seem to be doing these days to save a few dollars that I find so troublesome. This nickel and dime debasement of what was once famous Taylor quality is disturbing and buyers such as me have taken notice. If it continues for much longer I think that Taylor will be ripe for some other company to come along and do to them what they did to Martin and take over the lead in being known for consistant high quality.