View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 08:01 AM

First off, nowhere in the title "God Bless The Chinese" does politics appear. Nationality, yes. Religion, I GUESS so... if you want to get technical, but not really. The word "God" doesn't make something religious, it's become part of our language... G-D, oh my god, god bless, god forbid, etc. etc.

Anyway, I'm torn on this issue as well. There are fantastic guitars coming out of China (and Japan, and Mexico, and elsewhere for that matter). I just bought a Walden that is some serious axe for only four bills. I don't really know where I stand on the "buy American" thing, simply because I don't really know all the facts. As much as I'd like to "buy American" because it "sounds good" to "keep Americans working", I'm not so sure that's 100% the case. Frankly, America has priced itself out of the global market on alot of stuff... I sometimes wonder if it's not the "undercutting" of the imports that's the problem, as much as the US cost of living has gotten so ridiculous we have to charge outrageous prices. My point being, "buy American" isn't everything it may seem at 1st glance.

I'd have no problem shelling out $3000 for an American-made beauty over a $500 chinese beauty, but sometimes reality is simply numbers. I can't afford a $3000 guitar NO MATTER WHERE IT'S MADE. So my choice is either buy a really well-made import, or a crappy USA-made entry level beater, or nothing at all. Easy choice.

And, what's the difference in buying an affordable chinese guitar and spending big bucks on something from ...Ireland... or france... or wherever? Seriously. I sometimes get the feeling that buying a $3000 handmade work of art from Europe is acceptable, but buying a very well-crafted $500 guitar from China is not. Hypocrisy IMO.