View Single Post
Old 03-29-2022, 06:59 AM

Lack of Consistent "Reach" Measurement

A "short scale" guitar could also do wonders for ease of play. It might not seem like much, but it really does matter. A lot.
I prefer playing large body Jumbo guitars, but in comparison, my short-scale smaller-body Taylor 412e-R Grand Concert is almost a toy to play. This can be very important when my old hands are 'acting' up from time to time.

And no one measurement will give the 'reach' (as you define it) of the guitar. But starting with the length of scale, length of body, and where they meet (fret 12 or 14 or otherwise) may go a long way to make a good guess. Experience and empirical evidence are important too. Get out and play as many different instruments and brands as you can.

One underlying issue pertaining to all guitars is that there is no 'standard' as to what a given company may prefer as to size of bodies and necks in either length or depth or shape, and it's often impossible to compare between companies regarding sizes and the resultant effects. Unfortunately in the covid era, it's not always possible to "play before pay", but if you can, I highly recommend doing that as often as possible. Many of these 'differences' in design are responsible for the overall tone a guitar has.

Also, due to the relatively narrow waist on a true Jumbo, they are far easier to play given a relative body size simply due to the guitar resting lower on your leg. It's much easier than you would think to reach all the strings when resting the a Jumbo on either leg.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 03-29-2022 at 07:29 AM.