View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorKoaFan View Post
Not trying to disagree... but Martin's (and Taylors) all go through the same production process regardless of series. It is simply the better looking woods and higher end appointments that differentiate. I've played some pretty great standard series Martins and some very average high end Martins. I've also played some great sounding higher end Martin's and some very average sounding lower end Martins.
I don't think this is true at all. I have played MANY Martin 15 series and it seems obvious to me that these guitars are not constructed and set up with the same attention to detail as a higher-end model. The fret dressing, the set-up, the filing of the nut, etc on 15 series guitars are not comparable to HD-28, D-18 GE, or D-18 Authentic models. The playability of the 15 series guitars on the whole can't hold a candle to the higher end models. They are budget models and it shows. True, some 15 series instruments individually are wonderful in both sound and playability, and conversely some higher end models are duds. Similarly, I have picked up inexpensive Fender electrics that were wonderful players, and higher end U.S.-made Fenders that were duds, but on the whole the cheaper guitars are, well, cheaper.