Thread: Yamaha
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher View Post
Yammieplaya,

My only acoustic guitar at the moment is a Yamaha L-25A that I bought used in about 1984/5.

It sounds great and has always had an incredibly low action. Sometimes I'd like something with a smaller body but, given how long I've owned it (and how many dings I've put in it!), I couldn't get rid of my L-25A.

It was made in Taiwan and as with your L-15A, there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of information out there about them. I'm not sure what the differences are between the models but here are a few photos of mine:

That L25 is stunning!! I've never seen that style of fret markers on a Yamaha before! Really cool! I have 2 Jacaranda Yamaha's (and a Jacaranda Webber), the FG300 is laminated. The FG1500 has a 3 piece solid wood back with a maple stripe.
Not pickin' a wood fight but.....
While I have heard of Yamaha using Brazilian as a Jacaranda "substitute", Jacaranda is not Brazilian Rosewood. We just did 20 rounds about that one a few AGF pages back.
Jacaranda is the same as Pau Fero, Morado and Bolivian Rosewood. BTW To add to the confusion, its not Rosewood. All that said. It is a beautiful wood with great warm tone. I was told by a Luthier that the reason it is not used much currently is the dust is quite irritating (like Cocobolo) to the builder.