Thread: Favorite Capo?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
I'll never understand Elliott capos. Or rather, I don't understand spending 10x as much for a clamp that stops your strings. I could see the money on picks (but I'm a finger picker anyway), as they have something to do with sound production. On top of not being necessary, I find the Elliott's unattractively industrial looking.

I have a $12 Kyser and it does the job just fine.
Hi k…
I feel you are not looking for a real answer, but I'll share my thoughts anyway.

I certainly understand acquiring specific equipment which serves the function of different players. And not everybody needs the same things I need.

My main guitar has a wider fingerboard than my Shubb could handle, and Planet Waves NS hadn't been invented yet, and Kysers strangulated the intonation out of the strings…

When I sought information from Phil Elliott about the possibility of customizing a McKinney/Elliot for that guitar, he was willing to bend the yoke a bit wider to accommodate my extra fingerboard width.

He spent over 30 minutes on the phone as we took measurements and discussed the function and fit of it so it would not damage the edges of the fingerboard…and after more than a decade it's still the best capo I own (for the best guitar I own).

As a side-effect, it is most disconcerting when strings slide sidewise under a capo's top armature when you aggressively bend a string (on purpose) and the string stops in the bent position (or halfway between). The upper armature of my Elliott is my only capo which holds the strings in place so when I do aggressive bends, the string doesn't slide under the bumper.

Capos are also the only way of moving chord voicings and keys around while maintaining the open strings and feel of specific keys. If a song is in E, but I want the chord voicings of Dropped D, or even key of C, the only quick way to achieve it is with a capo.

And cut capos open up worlds that a pencil/rubberband or the Kyser cannot solve (even Kyser's cut capo exerts a strangle hold grip on the strings).

The good news is your Kyser makes you happy, and my Elliot makes me happy.

So you obviously don't need to pursue a more customized answer to your needs.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…