View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 08:41 AM

I don't have anything to add to the information already provided but I will say that I tried several experimental bracing patterns and none of them sounded as good as the traditional designs. So it was really just a waste of my time and I build with X-Brace for steel and Torre's fan bracing for classical. I did however build with a double-x and it was a good guitar, I'd probably do that again.

I'm not an engineer, nor do I play one on TV, I do have a degree in Geology however and structural geology is about as much engineering as I can stand. So, having so boldly stated my qualifications, I've never really 'got' scalloped bracing. Seems to me you want the braces to get weaker as they approach the stiff rim. So I just taper my braces to the edge. I know that it looks like a pretty little Brooklyn bridge's under there but is that structurally practical in guitar building? It's essentially designed to weaken the top in what seems to me to be an area that needs strength, it also leaves a big heavy blob on the top at the location of the peak. So like I said, I don't get it but apparently it makes a good sounding guitar

Talking about bracing is like talking about the best way to make chili. Everyone has their own recipe and most of them are pretty darn good.