View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
I don't think this is true at all. I have played MANY Martin 15 series and it seems obvious to me that these guitars are not constructed and set up with the same attention to detail as a higher-end model. The fret dressing, the set-up, the filing of the nut, etc on 15 series guitars are not comparable to HD-28, D-18 GE, or D-18 Authentic models. The playability of the 15 series guitars on the whole can't hold a candle to the higher end models. They are budget models and it shows. True, some 15 series instruments individually are wonderful in both sound and playability, and conversely some higher end models are duds. Similarly, I have picked up inexpensive Fender electrics that were wonderful players, and higher end U.S.-made Fenders that were duds, but on the whole the cheaper guitars are, well, cheaper.
They go through the same assembly line. I may be wrong because I've never toured the facilities, but I believe it is the same people assembling the guitars. There is no separate assembly line for higher end Taylor's or Martins.

Regardless, it doesn't have a lot to do with SCGC vs Collings... Again, wasn't trying to be difficult and someone can certainly correct me if I'm wrong.