View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Bill...
The nut width of Seagulls is 1.8 inches (as opposed to 1.75'' on most Taylors) and the strings are slotted from the factory at the same width as a Taylor. The ''Entourage'' and ''Slim'' model necks are 1.72'' which are equivalent in nut slot width to the USA measurement of 1 11/16'' nut width.

Not trying to be contrary, and your basic premise is correct, a 2 1/4'' saddle spacing at the bridge (as opposed to 2 1/8'') will increase the distance between strings over the soundhole for fingerstyling...

Similarly, the depth of the neck profile affects fingerings with the fretting hand. A deeper profile can be harder to fret than a thin profile if a person has small/med sm hands and rides the thumb at the edge and wraps the 6th string a lot.

I think the 'differences' in Seagull's measurements come from the fact that they use metric measurements for many measurents in Canada, and then convert them to inches for the purposes of technical specs for the USA...
Hi Larry. Thanks for clearing that up. I knew that the Seagull nut width is 1.8" but had forgotten and mistakenly typed 1 7/8". And you are right to point out the narrower nut widths on some Seagulls. I mentioned the typical, wider classic Seagull nut width to juxtapose it with the evidently Godin-ubiquitous 2 1/8" saddle string spacing (a Godin choice that still perplexes me.)

Bill