View Single Post
Old 03-29-2024, 07:39 AM

You probably should be looking at the LS, which has a smaller body size (they call it concert size) rather than the LL. I went to LS size guitars now specifically due to shoulder discomfort with full size guitars. Here are some thoughts on some models you might consider:

1. The LS16. I just bought a rosewood model (also available with Mahogany B&S). The action out of the box, and fit and finish of the guitar, is absolutely stellar. The tone just rings and the sustain of notes is impressive. As an example of how resonant it is, it is activated when it hangs on the wall hanger beside my head where I happen to sit and practice my Spanish with a phone app. My talking (pronunciation practice), and maybe even the dinging noises the app makes, resonates the top and I hear the guitar humming. I've noticed other guitars on this hanger resonating when I make a loud noise (cough, yell), but never from just talking. It also comes with a very nice hard bag, and the included pickup also sounds pretty good to my ear, although I don't have much experience with acoustic electric guitars. The downside of the LS16 for your cabin however, is that it is all solid wood.

2. The LS6. I had one of these a few years back. It was a really nice guitar too, and I probably shouldn't have sold it. I can't offer a direct comparison of the LS6 and 16, but I would point out the the 6 has laminate B&S, and would no doubt exhibit the famous Yamaha durability and imperviousness to environmental conditions.

3. The FS 800 series guitar. All have laminate back and sides, and solid tops. There are several models ranging from the budget and bling-free 800 (about $229) up to the all mahogany 850 (about $460). I've had an FS 800 since they first came out, and it's one of my favorite guitars. It was my office guitar for years, and it about as indestructible as a wooden guitar can be. It sounds way better than any $200 guitar should.

4. You might also consider the CSF1 guitar (about $450). It is a parlor size guitar with a short scale, but normal width and thickness neck. I just got one on sale for $400 OTD, and I like it a lot. In fact, I like it so much that I sold both of my GS minis. These travel guitars are great for vacations, and they come with a really nice travel bag.

5. FS3 and FS5. Never seen one of these in the wild, but folks seem to love them! All solid wood however, so might not be the best choice to leave at a cabin.