View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
In terms of foreign-made musical instruments at my house, the champion nation by far is Canada - I just counted up and I've got six Canadian-made instruments here....How come we never hear much on these online guitar forums about The Creeping Canadian Menace?!? ... I think it's great that there are surprisingly high quality, low cost guitars coming out of China these days. We happen to be in a historical moment when that is actually possible. But the Chinese pay the same prices for raw materials as we do, and so eventually their prices will go up.

Short version: enjoy this historical moment while it's here, because it will change soon enough.
After reading through this entire thread, I find Wade's comments most on the mark. This is a great time for guitar players to obtain good quality, cost-effective guitars regardless of where they are made. The economics of this situation are not going to last forever.

As an aside, I have been helping a co-worker find a guitar in the $500-1000 price range and in working with one of the guitar stores where I have purchased equipment for the last 30 years, I find that they are carrying very few Chinese-made guitars, but they are pushing guitars made in Canada as an alternative.

Regards, Glenn