View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 01:28 PM

Missed your 1st thread about learning after fifty - or maybe I forgot? - . Got my first guitar, a Gibson LG1 new as a kid. After about 6 months it was clear that practicing was less important to me than schoolwork.. Was kept in school but the lessons were stopped. No gain. 2nd down was in high school where I gave it a shot on my own trying to learn and play with friends. Didn't work. In 1980 I decided to try lessons again. This time it was classical. Missed most of the lessons the 1st 6 months due to work. Struck me as unwise to continue to pay for lessons I wasn't taking. Bit by the bug again back in '04. Been taking lessons most of the time since then and working at it pretty diligently. Not a talent, and progress is slow, but I am enjoying it. Practice most every day. Love taking my lessons. Been working through The Fiddler's Fakebook with a flatpick for nearly 3 years. Play lessons from Flatpick Guitar Magazine too. Playing with the CD beats the heck out of playing a duet with a metronome. There are at least 3 or 4 songs/exercises I can pick up most issues. Found someone thru the Martin Forum to play with regularly about a year ago and that is great. Met some others through the forum and local AGF gatherings and that has been good for me too. Still have the LG1.

jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)