View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Recording yourself is a great tool for improvement. For singers, it helps us determine much more objectively how we are doing on pitch and tone; for instrumental players, recording lets us separate ourselves from the instrument so we can hear breakdowns in tempo or fluidity.

And I like recordings for marking time. I like listening to recordings we (my family and I) made over 20 years ago when we made money making music. My kids are all grown up now, but listening to them when they were younger really takes me back and I enjoy it.

However, I like recording with good gear, good microphones. I bought a small digital recorder with built-in mics, but it's a disappointment; I don't care for the quality of sound at all.

I spent all afternoon in my studio today reorganizing the whole place. I haven't spent much time over there for a couple of years because I have allowed the rest of my family to store too much extraneous stuff over there and fill the place up with "stuff." It got so depressing, I couldn't work over there. Well, over the next week or so I'm going to clear out all that junk and take my studio back.

Now I'm really looking forward to doing more recording again.

- Glenn