View Single Post
Old 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
Having done my own testing, I can say that all DAWs are not equal. The difference happens in the summing engine in the way it handles rounding (known as rounding errors).

You have to apply some processing to engage the summing engine to know how the DAW will fare.

I did a test with a 4 mic classical recording I did. 2 stereo pairs, an ORTF & Omni outriggers. I tested by bringing the ORTF pair up exactly 3dB & bringing the Omni outriggers down exactly -3dB. No plugins, no other changes. Bounce to disk from each DAW. The DAWs I had access to to test were:

Pro Tools
Digital Performer
Logic
Reaper

None of the bounces nulled & they all sounded slightly different (and those differences showed up in an FFT). Even more surprising, some DAWs shrank the stereo field in a noticeable way, which also was visible on meters.

My take away: there is no bug free code, so there will always be slight differences from one DAW to another because of the inherent faults of humans coding the summing engine.

Steve I admit I was only reiterating what I have read/heard for years = that with no plugin processing involved at all in the file ,,most if not all DAWs will null, are you saying that is incorrect ?

And I admit I do not know what you are saying here --- "You have to apply some processing to engage the summing engine to know how the DAW will fare. What do you mean by "you have to apply some processing to know how the DAW will fare" are you saying you have use some plugin processing ?
I always understood that as soon you add any plugin processing, that all bets were off and the files will likely not null Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-27-2024 at 01:10 PM.