View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
.....How come we never hear much on these online guitar forums about The Creeping Canadian Menace?!? THAT'S what really frightens me: that we're being slowly but insidiously Canadianized, and eventually we're all going to end up dressing like the McKenzie Brothers, and then take it further with hair and beards and missing teeth like all those French-Canadian hockey players whose idea of a good time is whacking people with a hockey stick!!

Short version: enjoy this historical moment while it's here, because it will change soon enough.
Wade, I love your point of view.

For me, it is not which country, which continent or which hemisphere. It is how the item is produced and what are the side affects of the production. Much of Asia and the many of developing countries don't even consider these concerns. So my choice is to buy from clean industries and clean producers rather than polluters. If that means I have to spend more for clean products, then I am willing to spend more for a clean world.

Regarding the OP's opening comments about quality of Chinese guitars, I can only say I have never played one I have wanted to buy. Sure some were better players than other similarly priced guitars, but I wouldn't buy them either. Another interesting observation is the number of threads here and on other forums asking how they can improve, repair or enhance these Chinese made guitars. At first they love them, but soon they need repairs, major adjustments and replacement parts. As you can tell, I have yet to be impressed. For me, the true test will be in 10 or 20 years to see how many of these Chinese guitars are still around and if they will ever have vintage qualities.