View Single Post
Old 05-14-2024, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
I think once you hit a certain price point, maybe around $3,500-5,000, guitars don’t get that much better sounding or easier to play; just different. Sure there may be more attention to detail in this or that beyond cosmetics, and different, select materials certainly come into play like BRW. But is the impact on sound and playability that significant?

Collings guitars are very expensive and very nice. But I’d have to buy used to make it affordable. Or, as you pondered, sell off a bunch of guitars for one very nice guitar.
I think you about nailed that. Back when I could afford up to circa 6k if necessary, I ended up buying a 'plain old' OM18 sinker that sounded and felt awesome for 4200 though I played at least 40 guitars around that price or higher...there were some Collings' I liked for about 7.5k (just outside my max at the time) but I didn't want one INSTEAD of my Martin..I thought I'd like one IN ADDITION to my Martin...and I have seen those guys in good used shape for 5k.

I have played a lot of guitars in the 7-12k range and they aren't better or worse than each other..just different vibes.

Where you go matters too. A Budget would go a lot farther here on AGF classifieds than it would in any store.