View Single Post
Old 05-08-2024, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

NOTE: This "might" be provocative - not intended as such but it is my personal observation :

Notation and tablature is only useful if the player needs to copy not for note, same key, same tempo as the person that wrote the paperwork.

Whilst this might be a necessity in orchestral / classical situations but by learning only to read them can tend to make a musician an instrument "operator" rather than a musician.
I read notation and play from it (much more so on piano than guitar). However, any musician who does such will tell you that simply playing the notes isn’t the point. In piano we call that plonking. My own teacher emphasized reading music, but that one had to also tell the teacher what the music should sound like via the student’s own dynamics, pushing/pulling, and ornamentals. When I asked him what a swan should sound like in Camille Saint-Saens’ “The Swan,” he said, “You tell me.” He told me to treat the dynamics/ornamentals/tempo as suggestions. Playing the notes on the page is only the beginning. One must make it theirs. That’s not just being an operator. The local symphony says of the conductor, “Interpreted by …”
Fender FA100
Yamaha LS16M