View Single Post
Old 05-05-2024, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Absolutely can DIY pretty easy with wood shop tools. 2 ft by 4 ft is the standard size Basically 1x4 pine frame with some fabric cover and either Owens Corning 703 or RockWool Safe N Sound

The mounted black panels behind my recording desk (photo in post above) are 703 with black heavy cotton
These are my portable gobo style on some scrap Alder stands I made

You can see them used behind me in this video (I am facing my recording desk)
+1 on this. I made 8 panels, and they have transformed my acoustic guitar recordings.

I didn’t love the pine I bought, however. I needed to go to great lengths to mill it straight and make it pretty. If I had it to do over, I’d use 3/4 Baltic birch. But I put the pine outside the fabric, so I cared about the look. If you’re planning to cover the entire outside with fabric, the appearance of the wood won’t matter.

I saved on cost by using muslin fabric on sale at Joann Fabric on the front and weed cloth on the back. The muslin is not as scuff resistant as Guilford of Maine, but equally audibly transparent. And on mine it’s inside the frames, so it’s protected.

Inside I used Rockwool Safe n Sound 2’ x 4’ x 3”. It was more trouble than I expected just to find a supplier. I finally found a lumber company, of all things, that kind of hoards it in my area and had mountains of it.

Mine came in at about $42 per panel. A large chunk of that was the pine.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC