View Single Post
Old 04-29-2024, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
I have email through the company that hosted my business website. Once the business was sold I had to procure a new domain name (not difficult, fees periodically, not terribly $$) and then set up a new account with the hosting company. A hosting account comes with some number of email boxes (5? can't remember) and you do not actually have to have a website. This company has extremely robust security protocols and I have had no problems with intrusions. When I had the business I did have a window when I was getting a lot of annoying spam but I was able to access the web portal for the email server and set my filters specifically to target this. The problem ceased almost immediately. I have had one instance where I was unable to communicate via email with someone whose internet service in a rural area did not meet the security protocols my company requires. While somewhat inconvenient in that single instance, I did feel like the protection could be beneficial overall.

The company I use is called Laughing Squid and it is a small company out of San Francisco. I pay 8 or 9 bucks a month for my account (which could include a website or blog if I wanted to have such). I have been with this company for 16 years all-told - business and personal. The domain name costs around $100 for 10 years (GoDaddy)? Something like that. I had an additional gmail account for the business for some purpose, and the amount of unsolicited crap that came through that account led me to the "you get what you pay for" belief in this aspect of life.
Those folks and Web Hero (was catalog.com) do a good job for domestic hosting.

More and more it is a tough financial choice when for as low as $5 a month a Microsoft tenant also offers a big suite of software with that. Beyond basic product with Apple now gets email domain hosting. You also don't need to buy a cert if you go with a 365/Azure tenant.

A Google WorkSpace tenant is also a good choice choice and now they're much less expensive such as some $6 a month when it all used to be much more.

After many years of liking those firms we're probably moving my business and family to a Microsoft tenant because of the total suite of applications.

Verizon also just upped cellular smart watch to $10 a month when the last time we shopped that and superior coverage made sticking with them less expensive than a T-Mobile switch.

It is all such a bother but time to shop and maybe move some things around. For sure if I retire this summer.