View Single Post
Old 04-29-2024, 09:40 AM

Folks I know are okay.

This stuff hits home in two ways. Since 2018 we had a freak and extreme flood, and a small tornado touch down only blocks away. Oh that was rotten in the cleanup and repair even though we were all okay. It was expensive even having insurance.

I advise everyone to get their municipality acting as ours did. We - the city - did a 5 year plan to not just repair but fortify and fix a a lot of things for next time. It has already paid. Last year storms did no flooding. New building codes are better surviving the extremes. It was about $275 total added to our sewer and water bill. Wow was that a bargain vs what happened from those big events.

It was easy to get the whole city to do all those fixes and proactive steps because there wasn't anyone who did not have costs from the big events. The way they seem to be increasing is why I suggest everyone get their municipality at it.

You also want your municipality to be organized for FEMA claims. Ours was first in the state to have the claims done after the flood and tornado event. Wow does that make a difference too. It was quite simple for something so effective. Each city council district had designated volunteers, and all the parks' public lands volunteers helped.

Here's the neatest thing about that. The proactive efforts help produce an old fashioned good neighbor vibe people often gripe doesn't exist.

Good luck all!