View Single Post
Old 04-28-2024, 12:00 PM

Entering the world of 12 strings

A separate hint on playing a 12 string. Don't just limit it's use to known "12 string songs". I can play my entire repertoire on whatever guitar I have in hand. And you may be pleasantly surprised at what a twelve string can do for any given song.

For example, Creedence (John Fogerty) songs sound outrageously good with a 12 string as solo accompaniment. From "Who'll Stop the Rain" to "Centerfield".

And also play as many 'open' strings as you can, even if you have to change the key. For example, the Byrds "My Back Pages" ('I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now') I do in 'C' instead of 'E' so I can easily avoid so many barre chords. (C C4 C Am Em F G, C F C F G C C4 C, or something like that.) Besides being harder to hold, barre chords do not sound well on an acoustic 12 string.

The 'C4' is simply holding the three finger 'cowboy' open C chord and quick-fingering and striking the 'F' note on the 'D' string above the root 'C' note on the 'A' string. I use my little finger for that, but there are ways to do it with your ring finger too. I just think the little finger is simpler and cleaner (and available).

Also having a good chromatic tuner helps.
It usually takes me a second pass across the strings to tune it correctly. Lots of changing tension at play here.

Be well and play well,

(_o)===###

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 04-28-2024 at 12:20 PM. Reason: proof reading