View Single Post
Old 04-27-2024, 12:24 PM

Just as another data point, I have 2007 '37 D-18 Authentic that is a fabulous guitar. I get what people say about it being almost too rich and it is indeed a room filler. I did an acoustic gig with it last summer at a cafe with no PA and the guitar was more than enough in that setting. The trebles are as perfect as any guitar I've played and this one works well finger picked or heavily strummed. Because of its big voice, it wouldn't be my only guitar. I have a Collings OM1T, a Santa Cruz OM and a slope shoulder Vintage Southerner. The D-18A is a perfect complement in this group.

I was leery of buying a guitar without an adjustable truss rod and my guitar tech warned against it. I live in Philly where the humidity and temperature swings are wide in each season. But this guitar has been rock solid so far, no issues. It plays beautifully. Just wanted to give another data point. If you are interested in the Authentics, it may pay to find an older used one that has proven itself to be stable.