View Single Post
Old 04-24-2024, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH Acoustic View Post
I have owned identical built guitars with Walnut and Rosewood.

A note about any recordings: listen with good headphones or speakers if at all possible.

What I can from my ownership of Walnut and Rosewood (Spruce for mine):

1. Walnut -- In addition to others' comments on characteristics, here are my observations about Walnut in my case:
  1. offers a transparent, distinct clarity to the strings (strong separation)
  2. rewarding and revealing of advanced technique skills
  3. responds dynamically and immediately to varying attack energy on the strings
  4. highly focused -- can be a positive when playing delicately, potentially risk of listener fatigue with longer sessions / when playing with energy
  5. strong, throaty bass response with medium-long sustain
  6. offers a mystical tone with phosphor strings, with just a moderate overtone content
  7. notes strike the ear with immediacy and punch, some might say 'brightness', but I would say it is the speed of response that I can most easily pick out
  8. consider contacting Marc Beneteau also if you are contemplating a custom baritone (see video)

Here's a Walnut Marc Beneteau baritone showcasing our own Dustin Furlow's incredible original:

Also, a Lowden Baritone played by our own SuperB:

And a Lowden Walnut Baritone at SoundPure:

And a couple more:

2. Rosewood -- My observations about Rosewood in my case:
  1. if going custom, consider all of the rosewood varieties that Lowden offers -- for example the species used in the Pierre Bensusan signature models like Honduran or Guatemalan, which are voiced for clarity and string balance, or Chechen, in addition to trying EIR
  2. robust, yet smooth long sustaining low notes
  3. enchanting sweetness
  4. responds with a slight forgiveness to attack dynamics
  5. relativey longer note sustain in mid range - notes linger
  6. produces an overall slightly softer listening experience, even with trebles
  7. rarely fatiguing in longer listening sessions
  8. notes bloom into life
  9. presence of overtones dependent on string selection

Here's a Rosewood baritone currently at Guitar Gallery which has some high quality recordings audio and video on their website (not affiliated):

Hope this helps -- enjoy the search!

All the best,

a.h.
Thanks so much! All the baritones in your video have me wondering how low I’ll be able to tune this thing. It’ll be about 26.75” bass scale, and I might put a .060 sixth string on there. I think it should handle down to B pretty nicely.