View Single Post
Old 04-22-2024, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Epiphone IBG 1957 SJ200

Being a fan of the Epiphone IBG series in general, and especially my IBG Hummingbird, I was intrigued when this model was released. It differs from the standard IBG J200 in a few ways. It has a torrified top, a true mustache bridge, 1.72 inch nut, a nice hardshell case, and flamed maple. Aside from needing a bit of a setup, I'm pleasantly surprised by how good it plays and sounds. It's not nearly as loud as a dread, but it has a very pleasing and resonant tone that I like. I anticipate this will go well with the Hummingbird.

I certainly realize we all have different needs. I already have several dreads, including a D35, D18, and the above referenced Hummingbird. This guitar was listed at $1,500, which isn't cheap! But when you figure that a Gibson SJ200 is close to $6,000 new these days, it's not a bad price.

If you go into this expecting it to be as good as a Gibson, well, you may or may not be happy. If you expect it to project like a dread, again, it's not going to. But it is a very good approximation of the Gibson SJ200 at a quarter of the price.