View Single Post
Old 04-22-2024, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbuhl View Post
I want try using my guitar for percussive acoustic playing so I can set the beat using a looper. I've got an OMC-15ME and a 214CE. The 214CE might be better for trying out being whacked on. Are there specific guitars which are built for whacking? I do not want to risk damaging mine.
Hi rabbuhl…

If you have an internal pickup - doesn't matter the model, and the illusion of 'whacked' (percussive play) can be synthesized rather than actually done at great volumes and risk to finish etc.

If you are just trying to 'relic' your guitar, go ahead, but I don't value guitars more which have been 'abused' (accidentally or on purpose).

I lowered the volume of my strumming decades ago by changing my technique and it's served me well in that it sounds 'louder' than it is, and it actually is only slightly louder than my finger styling. It is a real 'sound-tech' frustrater.

Also compression in the chain can increase the impact of the added percussiveness without making it abrasive to the ears (from an audience standpoint). I always ask myself "When is 'much' so much that it becomes 'too much'?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…