View Single Post
Old 04-21-2024, 09:49 PM

Default Wife's MacBook went blackscreen: DOA?

Hi guys.

I know there are some computer-literate folks on here, so I need some input if you're willing. My wife was recharging her MacBook (top of the line back in 2013 but now?) and when she went to turn it on, it was no go. Screen totally black and the case was kinda hot until we stopped futzing with it. It's already had some issues (built-in left speaker went flooey several months back) but nothing that has affected its actual utility until now. In fact, wife was using it yesterday or the day before and no problem...now we got one. So...

Question 1: have any of you encountered this kind of issue on an Apple laptop of this vintage? Is it fixable...and if so, is it even worth dragging it to the local Apple-approved outlet (MacTLC...not the Apple Store) to see about a repair? Or can they at least retrieve her software & files? Unless it's a common and easily fixable quirk, I'll guess that money would be better spent on a new model. However, my wife likes the larger screen (15") and I'm not even sure they make that size any more, so I may be making a sojourn to the store just to say I tried...

Question 2: Assuming I'm correct that investment in a new Mac laptop is coming (my wife is brilliant in many ways but NOT a techie and Apple is what she knows, so Windows machines are not an option), what do you recommend? She mainly uses it to web-surf, order stuff on Amazon, do email and the occasional Word document...and very little beyond that. Honestly, I'd contemplate a tablet if she weren't acclimated to a full(ish)-size keyboard. Are the solid-state hard drives a proven and desirable thing now? When I had major surgery on my desktop iMac a couple of years back, I browsed the new models and SSDs seemed to be taking over.

Anyway, any help or advice you can offer will be welcome. At least it will help me prepare for my unavoidable trip to the store.

Many thanks in advance.

Dirk (who's probably also going to need a new iMac sooner or later, as well)