Thread: RIP Dickey
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2024, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Yeah, I do remember I'm No Angell - was pretty into it for a while. And I kind of dug Enlightened Rouges as well, which he also played on. That was around that same time as I first saw them, which it rather messes me up to realize that was 45 freaking years ago now. I mean, I know I was a young guy at the time, and I'm anything but young now, but I remember it pretty well and it just doesn't seem like it could be THAT long ago. Also sad to see Toler died at 64 - I have less than a month left of being 64, so I guess another reminder to appreciate the good fortune I've had and hope to have a good while longer.

-Ray
Man, I love some solo Gregg Allman, always been a huge fan. And Enlightened Rogues is a bit of an underrated ABB album, I think. People tend to poop on that era of the Allmans, but Dickey was in his prime and killing it, and I thought Dangerous Dan was a nice compliment to Dickey. Gregg was mostly drunk and high in those days. I think that was when he was so strung out that the roadies had to hold poster boards with lyrics to songs on them so that he could remember them, lol. Thankfully, he did clean up eventually.

Speaking of getting old, I was looking at pics of Garcia from 1995, and he looked like he was in his 70s. He was about 3 years older than I am now when he passed. You don't think about that stuff when you're in your 20s and really into the music.

One thing I will say about Dickey that I appreciated was that at every show after Jerry passed, Dickey would talk about Garcia and play a few bars of Franklin's Tower before going into Blue Sky, which was so cool. Tony Rice did the same thing with Shady Grove. That tells you a lot about these people, you know.