View Single Post
Old 04-19-2024, 09:54 AM

Yes, that's semi-pro gig money. Here in London UK, my band does regular pub gigs for £200 (around $250) and we're a 5-piece, so that's £40 ($50) each. For 2 separate one-hour sets.

For a functions gig - like you're describing - we would expect more, but would be OK with the equivalent of $100 (£80) each. It's on the low side, admittedly, but I doubt we'd turn it down. And that's providing all our own gear, btw, and with no roadies to pay. (But no need for tuxes or anything like that...)

However, for a solo gig, I would definitely expect more. After all, they are still getting 2 hours of entertainment. One solo performer is worth less than a whole band, but not 4 or 5 times less! I don't do solo gigs personally, but if I did I think I'd probably turn down £80 ($100). For a small, local, informal event, that would be acceptable, but where it's clear they could afford more (are 100s of people turning up? Are they paying entry?), I'd want more.

Needless to say, none of us are professional or unionised - except our drummer, who now plays half the time with a better paying functions outfit, and we get a dep. But when he's with us, he's OK with same cut as the rest of us.

FWIW, I was technically professional for 15 years before recent retirement, in that music was my main way of earning a living, but most of that came from teaching - part-time in schools and colleges, and privately. Gigs were just additional pocket money. Before that, I was semi-pro with a day job outside of music. Being able to make a living solely from music (and solely from performance at that) was cloud cuckoo land. I met (and played with) a lot of really excellent pro musicians over that time, but none of them made a living just from playing (live or in sessions); all of them either taught, or composed library music to make ends meet. And I'm sure some had part-time jobs outside music now and then.