View Single Post
Old 04-16-2024, 11:01 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I frequently use a metronome as part of my practice routine. However, once I turn the metronome off, it’s a lot harder to keep the tempo steady. I’ll often speed up. Especially on a slower song, I might end up 20 BPM higher by the time a song ends. I find it’s hard to keep a steady tempo for 3 or 4 minutes straight, playing all by yourself. I started this thread hoping to find a different practice tool that might help my brain get this dialed in.

Anyways … it seems that the term “BPM Detector” has a little bit of critical mass, that turned up four different apps on the iOS App Store that all claim to do what I want. They are mostly long-abandoned indie apps, but they are there. Thanks for that suggestion!

So far I’ve tried two of the “BPM Detector” apps. Unfortunately they didn’t work well for me. I guess maybe they were written assuming there are drums in the mix? An acoustic guitar boom-chucking or fingerpicking away just confused them. The tempos they showed me had no relationship to the tempo I was playing.

Shoot. Two more to try, we’ll see if I can find a winner. If I find a winner, I’ll post it back here.