View Single Post
Old 04-15-2024, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
same way as acoustic...i don't stretch strings i let them stretch naturally...tune, play and re-tune as they stretch naturally
Once they're on and tuned, I always stretch them. If I didn't, I'd be retuning constantly for a week. So instead, once new strings are on. I lift the guitar by each string one at a time and give it about three good shakes.

Then I retune it and do it again. I keep doing it until they they're all in tune after being shaken. It usually take about three stretches to get them tight.

You can get the same effect by winding them too tight, then rolling back to in-tune. But I don't know how high, so I use the shake-don't-break method.

Keep in mind that whether we do it intentionally or let it happen naturally, metal strings don't actually stretch. If they did, we'd have to retune constantly until they're so thin they break. What we're actually doing is tightening them. manually or naturally, the result is the same. My way is more effort but faster. Yours is easier but takes a while. They both work find.