View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublro View Post
so i know the guidance of "you have to play the one you're gonna buy", but...

let's say that I'm choosing between a new martin 000-18 and a new Martin custom shop 000-14, basically just a 000-18 with an italian spruce top sub'd in for the sitka.... and i can't sit and A/B them...

Interested in people's best stab at which one I should get....

I play a mixed bag of pop, country, motown, and blues-y rock. I will have an undersaddle transducer (james may ultratonic, think K&K with no tubby bass and feedback) in it.

I would like it to be smooth when played through a PA, but feel powerful and punchy when I'm playing acoustically.

would you go sitka or italian? why?

I would take the custom shop 000-14, not so much for the difference in the type of spruce top, but for the difference in attention to detail in the custom shop work, especially if they are scalloping the braces on the 000-14CS. Either top could sound better than the other, just depending on the given top, and the basic caliber of voice that it has within itself compared to the other.

All in all, you probably stand a slightly better chance with custom shop model being a little bit better guitar...but that is the old "shot in the dark" without being able to play and hear them first. You are just going off of "Paper Pedigree" per se'.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher