View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Fontaine View Post
I have a Cordoba C12 spruce top that I like very much. Intonation is good, sustain up to around the 9th fret is satisfactory, and in general it's very playable. When I received it, the action was a bit high for my tastes but there was plenty of meat on the saddle to make adjustments. The nut is perfect. The timbre of the spruce top has matured nicely over the time I've owned it. I've read a number of comments on various forums where players have said the C10 sounds and plays as well as the C12. Both instruments use solid wood construction. One significant difference that will affect the sound is the bracing pattern, latice in the C12 vs 7 fan in the C10. And as is with almost every well built classical guitar, the right strings will make it shine. While I can't speak to the Godin, I don't think you'll be unhappy with the C10.
Thank you for this reply. I haven't played nylon string instruments since I was young, and those instruments were hand made. On another site I participate in, the subject of classicals came up. One of the commentators stated that on classical sites he has seen that there was a big interest on the double top classical instrument but that classical players are now returning to more traditional instruments because they perceived a greater amount of nuance in these instruments. I have heard a demo of the lattice braced Cordoba vs a traditional braced Cordoba. I thought I preferred the lattice instrument. It seemed more powerful but the player really had no sense of nuance. Are players returning to the fan braced system over the lattice system because of a perceived increase in nuance? I don't think this instrument will be my main instrument. I simply want a nice sounding classical guitar. For me, sustain is a big issue and one of the reasons I left the nylon string instrument. The other is the limited number of keys the repertoire is played in. If Bach's Prelude, Fugue, and Allegro were written in Eb, why not play it in Eb?