View Single Post
Old 04-09-2024, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Hollow body (aka Jazz) guitars are my greatest disappointment...
Every time I have one I can't stand the sound. I can never get an acceptable acoustic tone nor a usable electric tone...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ C View Post
I empathize. I think the electric sounds we have come to accept and like are not helped by a hollow body - especially at volume. It’s not just a feedback thing but the “smoothness” and sustain from a solid instrument just sit better in the complexity of a band’s sound (unless it’s a jazz band of some sort where that tone is expected) .. and particularly if distortion is part of it...
For anyone who is used to the relatively uniform response and sustain of solidbody guitars, hollowbody electrics can indeed be a disappointment - or a reality check on one's technical skills, much as their acoustic counterparts are for someone who's used to the lush sustain and technically forgiving nature of a flattop guitar; the flip side of the coin is the richness of tone a good electric jazzbox can produce, and the broader dynamic potential for a player with good pick control - provided, of course, one has the clean right- and left-hand technique to fully utilize its inherent capabilities. If you're a speed-picker or advanced rhythm player dealing in complex patterns - and not just in the jazz milieu - you're not going to get the same note-to-note separation or defined initial attack from a typical solidbody; in addition, the dynamic range allows for rapid changes from solo to rhythm without riding the volume knob (or, in more recent times, kicking in a boost pedal) - a handy state of affairs in the early days of electric guitar amplification (when 15 watts was considered high power for a guitar amp), and/or there was major potential for early-onset feedback in the close quarters of a postwar local jazz club. Finally, many early soul/blues/R&B bands used hollowbody guitars for most of the reasons above - which contributed to rather than detracted from their ability to sit well in a mix - and I'll be using one of my own deep-body jazzboxes for an upcoming program of first-decade R&R at the local senior center for much the same reasons...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
...Go Gretsch. Just get a proper Pro Line model and some TV Jones pickups...
While I'll agree 100% about the Professional Series instruments' uncanny quality - I've got a 2013 G6136DC double-cut White Falcon myself - the post-2013 Korean-made 5400/5600-Series Electromatics are head-shoulders-&-navel above anything else in their extremely reasonable (well under $1K new) price range, leaving little if anything on the table in terms of QC/fit-&-finish (and nothing in tone/playability) vis-a-vis their upline stablemates, main (and relatively minor) differences being hardware and pickups. If you're a Gretsch fan and you've never played one, you owe it to yourself to do so: just make sure your credit card isn't maxed out, since - as many of your fellow AGF'ers here on the Electric subforum will attest - those who try them inevitably buy them...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 04-09-2024 at 07:41 PM. Reason: additional info