View Single Post
Old 04-08-2024, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

I've tried a lot of picks, but I've been pretty settled on the Primetone large triangle picks for quite a while. (Just checked, my first order with Sweetwater that contained a bag of those was almost 5 years ago - 04/19/2019!) 1.5mm, smooth surface is it. Now, I got a bag of a dozen white Clayton large triangles, 1.52mm, and I bevel those and use them fairly interchangeably, especially at "campfire" jams, where a dropped, dark brown pick means a lost pick, but the Primetones are still what I'll usually find woven through the 1st three strings when I open the case.

I do go through a lot wider range of picks on mandolin, and, somewhat surprisingly, I've never liked the Primetone picks on that instrument, while the Claytons still seem to work well, though not my first choice (when not sitting by the campfire ).

(p.s./edit - I rarely lose picks, and have some heavy Fender teardrops that must be 40 years old, and most of my Primetone picks have no visible printing left.)