Thread: Love songs
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2024, 04:42 PM

Most of mine are pretty upbeat, a few are broken heart criers, a couple of them pretty good. But there are 2 head and shoulders above the rest, both written from real life observed experience, which is very rare for me. One expresses deep doubt about your lover and helplessness in the situation. This I wrote from observing a married couple...thats it...just observing them in social situations. I was proven correct later. The other is the best lyric I've ever done. I ran into an old aquaintence in the grocery store parking lot and he related the confrontation he had with his spouse that morning, a complete surprise to me, they were the "perfect couple" in our circle, but even more surprising to him. He spilled his guts right there and I'm not a doctor, but he appeared to be in something like shock. He was just gutted, heading home to he knew not what. I went home, stewed on it overnight, and the next morning was able to capture that shock, gut-wrenching uncertainty, and confidence slaughter in two short verses and a chorus. Never happened before or since, I usually struggle mightily with lyrics. That is why I keep my love songs happy, because it's easy for me; I am still deeply in love and unbelievably happy with my wife of nearly 40 years, the best person I have ever met.