View Single Post
Old 04-04-2024, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Despite how well built my Gurian is in every other respect, its pick guard just fell off one day in the early 80s, probably due to the temperature extremes I subjected it to back then. The little black teardrop is still in the case, and to this day the top has a “tan line” in the guard area.
You make a good point regarding what I call the "farmer's tan." A strong argument (if one is inclined to remove a pickguard) for doing it early on, before the wood starts changing color. It's one reason I didn't wait any longer on my 3-year-old Eastman. Luckily, I didn't find much contrast under the pickguard, thanks to the whitest top I've ever owned (Sitka spruce I think). No doubt your Gurian is very well built (weak adhesive under a superficial plastic pickguard notwithstanding).

Before pulling mine off, I did some research to see if I could buy an exact replacement (no dice) or have a replica made (Holter pickguards) if I needed to cover it up again. Since there's no tan noted I won't need to replace it. For what it's worth, mine came off in one piece anyway and kept its shape, so it can be glued back on if that urge ever strikes. That's not the Eastman in these pics BTW.

For those who don't have a pickguard and want one (but don't like the looks of them), I've seen clear ones. My Larrivée C-03 in the pics below had one, semi-matte (non-reflective) finish. Very handsome IMHO, you couldn't tell it was there. Ironically, the only visible wear I put on that guitar was on the unprotected edge of the sound hole. Nothing a pickguard would've prevented regardless of the color.

I regard this as normal wear and tear, and nothing that might diminish the value (for me anyway) of a working guitar. Another reason (among many) that I don't buy $10,000 instruments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7978.jpg (29.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7576.jpg (52.6 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by tinnitus; 04-04-2024 at 07:19 PM.