View Single Post
Old 04-02-2024, 01:01 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstorecowboy View Post
Perhaps this kit should come with a very large warning that pops up every three months: "If you can't record a microphone but other stuff works, and you are going crazy trying to fix me, just do a hardware reset."
Yeah. I work for a large media company with really good gear and repair engineers to help. The first thing they always ask is, "Did you reboot?" I work with all this stuff and have learned to memorize the individual item's failure modes and means of restoring them to operation. For instance:

To my left I have a Euphonix MC Transport, a DAW transport controller with an alpha wheel and transport keys and soft keys. It is connected to the computer via Ethernet with its own fixed IP address. When it fails I can:
1. Restart the Euphonix computer software
2. Restart the DAW
3. Log out and log back into my user account
4. Reboot the computer
5. Restart the hardware unit

The first three are classed in order of what takes the least time to what takes the most time. Restoration of service can rest in any of these locations. When I am under a very short deadline I must balance off between whether trying the shortest or second shortest will take longer than simply rebooting the computer, because it takes less time to simply reboot than to go through the first four sequentially. Hilariously though, skipping to the reboot may remotely turn off the hardware unit, in which case you must restart the unit and then reboot AGAIN.

In the highest-stress situations, the worst case scenario of the bunch usually appears.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)