View Single Post
Old 04-01-2024, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Do guitars sound better over time? Mine do.

Even in this short (so far) thread, you will see plausible arguments for yes and no. There's another tangible angle that I never see come up in these frequently recurring discussions.

Playing all kinds of electric and acoustic guitars for over half a century, I've assimilated techniques that optimize whatever a particular instrument has to offer. Often subconsciously (and depending on the strings, action, fretboard, tonal "personality"), I avoid doing things that might make it buzz, boom, quack, etc. True also with keyboards (even soul-less electric planks) horns, tools, cars/motorcycles, weapons, etc. Once a player internalizes various (even subtle) nuances, they all perform better.

Thus, whether several years of gentle aging will do something physical to improve a wooden guitar's sound (or not), I would submit that playing to its strengths and avoiding inherent weaknesses will certainly add greater dimension to the "sounds better" continuum. Though I've not necessarily advanced my competent bar-band skills to another level in the past decade, two of my guitars are only a few years old now and already sound much better in my hands.

The point? Don't forget that player technique on any particular instrument is a significant part of the equation.

Last edited by tinnitus; 04-01-2024 at 06:05 PM.