View Single Post
Old 03-30-2024, 03:08 PM

If lowering the action is all you're after, then I don't have much more to contribute. The folks above have nailed it.

I do want to piggyback off of what CoastStrings mentioned and say that compensated saddles are nice. For my carbon fiber instrument, I had a luthier cut a new bone saddle for it, optimized for a specific set of strings (I also had a new nut cut for it too). Between the new nut and saddle, the intonation is as perfect as our imperfect instruments get without going .strandberg (True Temperament). If being 5+ cents off at the 12th fret can annoy you, consider having a luthier do the work.

One counter argument to my suggestion of considering a luthier: There's a reason why I only got a custom nut and saddle done for my carbon fiber instrument. It's the one I play when I want absolute consistency (carbon fiber is resilient to temperature and humidity and all that). I'm not sure how much temperature and humidity swings would affect a wood guitar that had the same sort of work done. I imagine seasonal changes could very easily un-compensate a nice solid wood instrument. So mayyybe it's not worth having a professional finely dial things if the setup is only good for 2 months out of the year