Thread: Pick Worries
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2024, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Hi Robin, et al,

Every flat top guitar I own has in the case a Princess Mary box in which there is 1 x Blue Chip TAD , a Wegen TF and a Clifford Essex "Triad" buffalo horn pick along with a Shubb capo.

I discovered 346 style large triangle picks with my first Blue Chip pick, and found them ideal for me.

I use BC tad 40 (1 m/m) for guitars with light gauge strings (21-53)and TAD 50 (1.25 m/m) for guitars with medium gauge strings (13-56).

Wegen "TF" pics are either 120 or 140 (1.2 and 1.4 m/m and are beautifully made, polished, and bevelled.

The "Clifford Essex" buffalo picks seem modelled very closely on the Wegen designs but with a "natural" material.

For archtop guitars, and my 12 strings, I use the Wegen TF140s.

I recommend to all my clients that they try "346" triangles, which can be purchased from Dunlop in various qualities and thicknesses.

As I have now developed CMC (basal joint) arthritis, the larger picks reduce the issue somewhat.

I positively dislike celluloid picks like Fender, D'andrea etc., and also Casein which bend and both can break.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0035.jpg (36.6 KB, 142 views)