View Single Post
Old 03-26-2024, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Anyone else experiencing the same?
Yep, same here in the Pacific Northwest, stuff sells but very slowly and only if at very reasonable prices. Tons of gear on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
Good luck selling....it's a buyer's market now. Which will turn again....someday.
Someday, I'd say in ten to twenty years. It's going to take a long, long time for the wave of baby boomer gear to work its way through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
It's us baby boomers!

We are now of an age when many are thinking about "liquidating our stock."

I'm not convinced that the Gen X and millennials are so interested in high quality, vintage and boutique stuff.
I'm not sure it's that they're not interested, but rather that they can't afford it. There is a big wealth gap: at the same ages, every generation after the boomers is poorer than the last.

That is, at age 30 a gen-Z person has less wealth than a millenial did at age 30, who had less wealth at age 30 than a Gen Z had at age 30.

Here are a couple fun graphs:
https://i.imgur.com/MNZgy2d.png
https://i.imgur.com/6fsCpK7.jpeg

For millenials like me, who can afford nice guitars, there just aren't many of us and we are out of space! I already have 20 guitars and frankly when my millenial friends come over, they think I'm crazy, a show-off, or both. I've even been called a "boomer", jokingly, by a guitar-playing friend for having all these guitars. So, besides the cash thing, I think there's also a stigma thing about "conspicuous consumption."

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
I’ve sold two guitars in recent weeks, one here on AGF….a Kopp…and a Santa Cruz on Reverb….in both cases I offered them for significantly less than current market comps…..if I had priced them at current comps I probably wouldn’t have had more than a glancing look…..it’s the current reality….even when you have a very desireable instrument….

My guess is that this trend is going to continue….
Completely agree. Comps are backward-looking. Buyers are looking forward, sellers are looking backward.