View Single Post
Old 03-25-2024, 10:42 AM

Talking Taylor Grand Concert 12 strings (Taylor 552ce cedar)

Would love to hear thoughts on the grand concert 12 strings.(352ce, 362ce, 452ce, 552ce, 752ce), particularly the cedar/magogany 552ce, and the impact of X vs V bracing.

I’ve got a 355ce which sounds great, but I find myself playing so much more dynamically on the grand concert models when I get a chance to try them in the shop. So far tried a 352ce, 362ce and 552ce (iron bark). 352ce was nice, but tonally was lacking something. 362ce also nice but lacked the dynamics I like. 552ce (iron bark) was surprisingly really nice, and really powerful, projection was great. The model I’m most looking for is a 552ce cedar/mahogany. I have a 514ce (2013, X brace) cedar/hog and it is absolutely spectacular in every way (touch sensitivity, warmth, strumming response and tone), and hence I am seekingly badly to play a 552ce cedar, particularly X brace (V brace generally less bass, and GC size not helping for bass naturally).

If anyone has played then let us know your thoughts. Particular X vs V argument. Unfortunately they’re discontinued so I must keep a keen eye on second hand market. The natural bass push of rosewood may help a 752ce too!