View Single Post
Old 03-21-2024, 01:08 PM

Hi Puddleglum,

I just recently went down the same path as you. I'm mostly an acoustic player and dipped my toes into the electric world years back. Back then I bought a small 20 watt Fender Mustang modeling amp to get me started. I only really dabbled in electric guitar playing and the Mustang filled that itch.

But, like a lot of people, sometimes I found myself fiddling with all the setting on the amp more so than actually playing the guitar! Also, I found that in order to get anything decent sounding from the amp, other than the presets, took hooking it up to my PC and deep diving into the software settings. Those days I felt more like a sound engineer than someone who just wanted to play the guitar.

Fast forward to now... I recently decided to get a bit more serious about my playing and decided to find myself a nice, simple, amplifier. My criteria was to find a solid state that had nice clean tones and the ability to grow with over time.

The amplifier I went with is the Blackstar Debut 50R. This is a analog solid state 2 channel 50 watt amplifier. I know it is overkill in the wattage area, but it had everything I was looking for and also has a button that drops the wattage to 5 watts without losing any of its tone. At 5 watts it is plenty loud for bedroom practice. It has line out/headphone jack, a footswitch jack for tuning on/off reverb and switching between channels. It also has an effects loop send/return. For the controls it has all the usual suspects along with the power reduction button, a "clean bright" switch (adds some brightness to the cleans), two types of reverb (hall and plate) and Blackstar's "ISF" tone control (Infinite Shape Feature). The ISF changes the tone of the amp from a more American sounding amp to a more British sounding amp. Over all it is a nice piece of kit for not that much money ($250).

Not sure if is something you would be interested in, but figured I would at least add it to the list of possibilities. If you can find one locally to test drive, you may find it to your liking as well. There are plenty of online reviews to peruse as well. (I went with the Black/Tan cabinet).

https://blackstaramps.com/debut-50r/

Here is a pretty decent review. I wish he tured up the volume for the 5 watt test, as the amp was set a a low volume and the power reduction is very quiet.. but it does get louder than in the video.

Wasper

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian