View Single Post
Old 03-17-2024, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitfiddlemann View Post
I guess we see things differently. I see having both as much more of a nuisance or a needless distraction, and the notation to be much more complete in regards to the content it provides. Take the first measure. If you look at the TAB, you see 4 and 4. But those are just frets. The correct fingers to use for those notes are 3 and 2 to play the music with the proper hand position. The TAB shows a string of 1/8th notes, which is really not correct. And none of the rests, some of which are 1/4 and 1/8 duration. There are ornamental grace notes in this piece which add a lot, which the TAB will likely omit.
Even if you make the argument that both TAB and notation are shown, it can't be helpful to the player if the info shown ends up being conflicting, or at best incomplete, when looking at both as you're trying to play it.
I think having just the notation, or just the TAB, would be less confusing to me. And less busy. The TAB would be likely incomplete, but one can always get a listen to the piece, and piece it together that way.
Whatever works. In the end, that's all that matters. I think we can probably agree on that!
In my tab the note values are correct if you are limited to a single voice as I did. If you followed the thread from the beginning you would know I was responding to Barry saying
he needed to use three voices to get the timing right and I showed even one voice would do. Both standard notation and tab together can contribute to learning a new piece correctly
and faster.

Probably for my first few decades learning guitar pieces (classical mostly) I just used guitar scores in standard notation. Not a problem though I do think
a good tab along with the score sometimes useful.

Finger notation can be used in tab as well as standard (usually the a-b-i type way) though usually pretty self evident what to do without it.
In the tab and standard notation for things I compose arrange the timing incidations can in some pieces be the most time consuming part of it.
I am usually working up some new pieces and noting down progress as i go along is a better bet than just my memory.
One example is https://www.dcoombsguitar.com/Guitar...NightBlues.pdf

Again regarding timing indications in guitar music (especially compared to something like a flute) the note duration values given many notes in tab
or standard notation almost has to be incorrect (visual clutter otherwise) - say a C chord arpeggio for example.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above