View Single Post
Old 03-05-2024, 11:33 PM

Default Weird bridge reglue

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in general, I figured I'd get better advice here. As a brief disclosure, I can do setups and crack repair but I'm no luthier.

The gist of the story here is I found a late 90's D-28 that I really love the sound of; it could use a setup (slight lowering of the nut) but plays decently well. My wallet likes the discount too, on account of it looking like it does. But whatever was done to it is weird; it's had the bridge off and it looks like someone attacked it with a palette knife to do so and then did a sloppy reglue. I checked the neck angle and it appears fine; the guitar intonates well up and down the neck, and my eyes don't detect any reduction in bridge height from shaving. I have no idea why it was done, other than maybe bridge lift at some point in the guitar's prior life?

I have not bought the guitar. I would like to because the sound speaks to me more than most D-28s I've played, and I wanted to do something nice for my birthday. I don't mind the aesthetic condition - if anything, having it roughed up already will make me less afraid to take it out because what's one more ding? But I am worried about the stability - I have no idea what was used (like, wood glue, or is that epoxy I'm looking at?) or why it was done.

So I guess my question is, what am I looking at here? Will this have any impact on the long-term life of the instrument?

P.S. I know the saddle looks low in the first picture. It's definitely been shaved but there is also an optical illusion, it's got over 2mm of clearance on it still as can be seen in the second picture