View Single Post
Old 02-26-2024, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Initial thoughts on the L-48. It's one of the prettiest guitars I've owned. Someone in its past refinished it in a natural/violin burst and it looks like a big violin.
All the stuff you expect with a Gibson, well made and good looking woods. Neck is comfortable with the short scale. However, the fretboard radius is noticeably flatter than my New Yorker. One thing about my New Yorker is the fretboard plays very fast even if it's longer scale.

The sound is like my New Yorker but bigger , more bass, more warmth, more volume. Trebles are about the same. Similar metallic plunkiness , I guess because it's laminated woods.

Overall it seems like a cool guitar to noodle on but it could potentially be a nice jazz box, just need to figure out a pickup setup on it. I could see it replacing my New Yorker but I've had very little interest when I've put the NYer up on marketplace and eBay so I may be "stuck" with it for now.

Anyways, I'll play it for a while and try to get a pickup on it and see how it sounds electrified. It won't be replacing any flattops or anything.